During Q4 2013 we announced that advertising clients and resellers using our advertising platform could advertise on Facebook’s News Feed in addition to advertising on Facebook’s Right-Hand Side. Media buying partners, clients and resellers were all very excited and the popularity of the additional quality inventory has been well received. A little over 4 months later we continue to receive a series of general questions about advertising on Facebook, specifically about creatives being displayed on the Facebook Right-Hand Side. Below we have provided answers to the most popular questions being asked.
What is a Facebook Right-Hand Side creative?
Facebook Right-Hand Side creatives show up in the right-hand sidebar of various types of Facebook pages. A Facebook creative consists of an image, a title that displays above the image, and a body text that displays below or to one side of the image. When you add a Facebook creative to ExactDrive's online advertising platform, you also set the landing page where users will be sent after clicking the ad, select the brand associated with the ad, and enter a few other details.
Facebook Retargeting & Right Hand Side Ad Example
General Facebook Right-Hand Side Creative Acceptance Requirements:
All ads that run on the ExactDrive advertising platform are audited to meet relevant legal requirements as well as the rules of common sense and decency. For more details, see the general technical specifications for Facebook right-hand side creatives below. See also Facebook's Creative spec and Creative policies.
- Image must be 99x72 pixels
- Supported file types are jpg, gif, and png
- Only a single landing page is allowed
- Title can be a maximum of 25 characters
- 20 character max per single word in Title
- Body text can be a maximum of 90 characters
- 20 character max per single word in Body
- Alphanumeric, punctuation and spaces only
- A max of 2 consecutive punctuation marks
- No 3rd part ad servers for Facebook creatives
- Dating creatives are not permitted on the Facebook Exchange (FBX)
What languages are supported for Facebook creative's title and body text?
ExactDrive fully supports the use of English and other European languages using Latin-1 encoding for the creative title and body text. When entering a title and body text in UTF-8 encoded languages such as Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Russian, or Hebrew, your creative may not save or render properly as UTF-8 is not fully supported.
Can 3rd-party impression trackers be used for Facebook?
ExactDrive records all Facebook impressions. If you wish to use another system to record impressions as well, you can add up to 3 third-party impression tracking pixel per Facebook creative. However, please note the following technical requirements. If your pixel does not meet any of these requirements, your creative will fail Facebook's audit:
- The pixel server has been approved by Facebook. (Please contact the ExactDrive support team if you're unsure if your pixel server is on the approved list.)
- Facebook servers are able to establish a connection with the pixel server.
- The final destination URL of the pixel is a 1x1 image.
- The final destination URL of the pixel is secure (https) and contains a valid SSL/TLS certificate.
- The pixel does not drop more than one cookie.
- The size of the cookie is less than 1024 characters (1kb).
- Facebook servers receive a response from the pixel server in less than one second.
- The pixel does not redirect, except as necessary to pull down the 1x1 image and then only from the same domain as the pixel. This implies that piggyback pixels are not allowed.
What page types Do Facebook Right-Hand Side Creatives Currently Display?
Facebook provides the page type for each impression. Campaigns can target specific page types. These page types include:
We hope this information provides helpful insight and answers to the majority of your questions. If you have any additional questions please don’t hesitate to contact us and a member of our support team will reach out.